Skip to main content
for Parents for Students for Staff
for Staff
Staff Connections
Instructional Resources
Health Plan
Wellness Program
Absence Reporting
Employee Leave
Retirement & Investing
Workers' Compensation
Compensation & Benefits Assistant
Professional Development
Educator Grants

Crisis Fund

Child Care
Community Resources

Changing Your Benefits

Health Plan
New Employees
Plan Descriptions
Flexible Benefit Program
Affordable Care Act
Changing Benefits
Employee Assistance Program
Filing a Claim
Find a Network Provider
Plan Documents
  • All changes to benefit plans must be processed through the Plano ISD Benefits and Risk Management Department.  Forms must be completed within 31 days of the Change in Status event and/or prior to the requested cancellation date.
  • Newborn children may be automatically covered for 31 days only. Employees must complete paperwork within the first 31 days after birth to request continued enrollment.

When Can I Change My Benefits?

1. Annual Open Enrollment

Each year, employees will receive an instruction booklet to guide them through the online enrollment process.  Employees may request any type of change, and all changes requested within the annual open enrollment period will become effective for the next plan year, September 1. The published deadline will apply to all changes.

2. Change in Status, after the start of the plan year

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) allows certain benefit changes to be made mid-year, only as a result of a "change in status". TRS-ActiveCare also has additional rules which further limit mid-year benefit changes. Certain changes may be permitted due to marriage, divorce, birth, adoption, death, involuntary loss of coverage, or gaining new coverage.

To request a benefit change as a result of a qualifying change in status, you must complete paperwork with the Benefits and Risk Management Department within 31 days and/or prior to the requested cancellation date.

We will send the necessary form requiring the employee's signature. The signed change form must be returned along with documentation of the change in status. This could be a copy of the marriage license, copy of the divorce papers, copy of adoption papers, or a letter from your spouse's employer. We will let you know what you need to return to us and when it is due.